About Me

My Photo
Joe Garrison
Fishers, IN, United States

Director of Contemporary Worship and Assistant Director of Student Ministries at Castleton United Methodist Church in Indianapols, IN. Husband,Guitarist,and Drummer
View my complete profile

Like 'Renovate'

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Contemporary Christian Music - Too Positive?

I have been thinking a lot lately about Contemporary Christian Music (CCM). Of course I think about it a lot since I lead two adult worship teams as well as a student worship team. Lately, my thought process has shifted from just leading the teams to really focussing on the content of the music and lyrics itself. I have to say, the more I focus on the content of the lyrics in many of these songs, the more I become bored.

CCM tends to stick very closely to the positive side of the Christian life and who God is (love, glory, worship, power etc) and seemingly rarely focusses on the down side of life in general (sin, temptation, struggles, persecution etc.). When it does focus on these things it tends to be that Jesus overcame them. I'm not really sure why this seems to be the case. Maybe it is because most CCM is worship music so it is focussed on the God of love, glory, worship, power and so on.

I think worship music that occasionally focusses on the broken nature of humanity and the struggles we all face would be maybe even more powerful at times than constantly talking about how "my God is mighty to save". Even though He is...

Along with CCM (and lots of secular rock) I also listen to Christian rap artists like Lecrae, Tedashii, and Trip Lee among others (many of them on Reach Records). I've noticed that these rappers deal very effectively with human nature and the things that keep us from following whole heartedly after the God of love.

How could it impact our worship services if we were a little more honest, in our worship through music, about who we are and the very real reasons why we need a God that is loving, powerful, and mighty? Do you think there is merit to our worship music better contrasting the ways we constantly fall short with the ways God never does?

Am I totally missing the boat here? Maybe I'm just not well versed in Christian music and I'm missing a bunch of good stuff that fits what I'm talking about. I'll admit, I listen mostly to secular music even though I am a contemporary worship director.

What do you think?

0 comments:

NetworkedBlogs

Followers

Labels

1 Corinthians 1 Timothy 2:9-15 20 Somethings Discussion Group Acts 2:42-47 Acts 4:13 Alter Bridge America AW Tozer Bad Day Ben Roethlisberger Big Ben Black Ops Blogging Blue Man Group Body of Christ Butler University C.S. Lewis Call of Duty Calling Castleton United Methodist Church CCM Christ Christianity Christmas Christmas Traditions Church Ministry Claddagh Irish Pub Cliques Colts Community Contemporary Contemporary Christian Music Contemporary Worship Culture David Platt Debt Defensive End Distractions District Attorney Bright Draft Drum Bone Effective Ministry Effective Ministry Balancing Ministry and Marriage Empowered Facebook Family Traditions Fear of God Fishers IN Francis Chan Galatians Garrison Law Firm George's Neighborhood Grille Georgia God God Breathed God's Will Grace Grandpa's Dinner Rolls Guilt Hallelujah Halo Holiday Food Holiday Traditions Holy Spirit Homeowner Houston Texans Image of God Indiana Indianapolis Indianapolis Colts Isaiah 6 James 5 Jeff Buckley Jerry Hughes Jesus John Leader Leonard Cohen Library of Congress Lord's Prayer Love Marriage Matthew 6 Matthew West Mayfield Four Mere Christianity Metallica Miley Cyrus Milledgeville ministry Monday Night Football Moving music My Generation Myles Kennedy New House New Job NFL One of those days Ordinary Men Oxford Ohio Paul Peter Phao Student Ministries Phil Wickham Prayer Proverbs Proverbs 1:7 Proverbs 2:1-5 Radical Radical Christianity Renovate Revelation Revelation 1:9-17 Romans 3:4 Romans 5:6 Sacrificial Giving Saturday Evening Contemporary Service Scripture Showing Offense Simi Valley Sin Social Media Spiritual Gifts Spring Student Ministry Summer Taylor University TCU Technology Thanksgiving The Bible The Gospel The Holidays The Motions Timothy 2 Tithing Traditional music Twitter Under the Bus United States Wisdom WISE UP Women in Ministry World Views Worship yard work Your Will Be Done Youth Ministry